Friday, April 01, 2011

Hot 100 Chart 1978-04-01

The past 2 Fridays I've talked about songs charting on this date in 1973.  But the charts also came out this day in 1978, so we'll have a change of pace taody (aside:  The Hot 100 charts are released on Saturday, 4/1/1978 was a Saturday):

SO:  Saturday, 4/1/1978 (33 years ago) the Top 10 songs in the USA were:
  1. Night Fever - Bee Gees
  2. Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
  3. Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
  4. Can't Smile Without You - Barry Manilow
  5. Emotion - Samantha Sang
  6. If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman
  7. I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
  8. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water - Andy Gibb
  9. Thunder Island - Jay Ferguson
  10. Dust in the Wind - Kansas


 Brothers Gibbs much?  Ya know, 30 years later I've never seen "Saturday Night Fever".  And I'm ok with that.  I don't hate those songs, though, they are actually quite good for what they are (pure pop dance music).  Lay Down Sally (from Eric Clapton's "JJ Cale" phase) is more my style. 
Notables making their chart debuts this (that?) week,:
  • You're The One That I Want Olivia Newton-John.  Just in case you didn't have enough with Saturday Night Fever, how about some Grease?  Ugh.  opened at #64 on it's was to #1
  • Deacon Blues - Steely Dan.  Opened at #86, peaked at #19
Meanwhile, April 1978 was getting close to my high school graduation.   The photo is from spring 1978, back in my backpacking days.  This is Tuscarora Trail, in Central PA, where we did a lot of hiking back then.  As I recall, we spent a rather long time at this spot, savoring the moment.


No comments: