Saturday, May 05, 2018

Ten Albums

So there's been a "thing" going around facebook for a little while, asking folks to post 10 "all time favorite albums" that "really made an impact",  and that you still listen to "if only now and then".

I've enjoyed seeing the posts from friends who participated, and couldn't help but participate.  Problem was, I had a heck of a time limiting myself to 10.  So I narrowed it down to 10 rock/pop albums, that I have on vinyl from my school year.  I may have to do another list for Jazz/Classical/etc....  and maybe an "honorable mention" list...

Anyway, the facebook thing said "no explanations", but I decided to post the list here, with a short explanation why I selected each album.  They were posted randomly on facebook, I'll put them here chronologically by release date:

  • The Monkees - Headquarters (1967) - One of the first albums I remember vividly.  Pretty sure it was technically my brother's, but I remember "us" buying it at the Sears in Charleston WV, and listening to it on our little portable record player.  A great album which has stood the test of time, and has earned a bit of respect.
  • Derek And The Dominoes - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (1970).  Released in 1970, but didn't really make a splash until '72/'73. I think I got this in 1975-ish.  Purchased for the  title track, I think this is the album that really introduced me to blues music.
  • Genesis - Live (1973) - The first Genesis album I owned.  Not exactly sure when I got it, but mid 70's.  This was my go-to album for "turning off the world" during my mid-high school years.  I'd put it on (often late at night), (usually) through headphones and studiously listen...  I knew this album inside and out, instrument by instrument...
  • The Who - Quadrophenia (1973) -   90 minutes of the Who at their best.  And one of my favorite bass albums.  I didn't discover the full album until the last 70's, but it has been a favorite ever since.
  • Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits (1974).  This was the first album I owned from my first "favorite band".  I picked this up when it was current, in the summer of '74.  When I was discovering the joys of FM radio.  One could argue if this is their best, but it gets my "impact" nod as the one that started it for me.
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (1974) -  Still one of my favorite guitar albums, and the first BOC album I owned..  Probably mid high-school.  Half the fun was trying to make sense out of the lyrics.    "Radios Appear!"
  • Poco - Cantamos (1974) - didn't discover Poco until mid high school, but they've been a solid part of my collection since.  This has been my favorite Poco album since I heard it.  
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Back My Bullets (1976) -I remember listening to the local radio station's debut of the album, laying on the floor of my bedroom at midnight...  Not well received at the time, and generally not heralded today, it's been a favorite of mine since day 1
  • J.J. Cale - Troubadour (1976).  I discovered J.J. Cale when his version of "Cocaine" got some radio play.  I also knew that Lynyrd Skynyrd had covered a couple J.J. Cale songs.  It took a little while for the album to really grow on me, but it wasn't long before I had picked up all his prior albums, and I have (almost) everything subsequent.
  • Joe Jackson - Look Sharp (1979) - My recollection:  at the start of the summer of 1979, my brother put this album on and said "this is what I want our band to sound like".  It may be a manufactured memory, but it's still a cool thought.   Great album.  I have this one on 2x 10" vinyl.  It came with a small button, black with "Look Sharp!" in white letters.  Yes, it was THAT cool.
Side note, I've seen 7 of these 10 in concert, can you guess who I've missed?

No comments: