Sunday, October 07, 2018

Album Review: Atlanta Rhythm Section - Dog Days




Artist: Atlanta Rhythm Section
Album:  Dog Days
Released:  August, 1975

- - - - -

If you remember Atlanta Rhythm Section (ARS), you probably remember the smooth sound of their hits from 1977 through 1979:  So Into You (peaked at #7), I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight (#14), Imaginary Lover (#7), Do It Or Die (#19) and Spooky (#17).  Super smooth, gentle groove, radio friendly tunes.

But Dog Days has a different feel.  This album came out in mid/late 1975, and is a little bit more raw...  more of a boogie feel.  Now doubt southern rock.  Now, this is still a super tight band, and they are smooth on this album, but there's more of an edge.  Some distorted guitars, some greasy jams...  I think the defining point is from the song "Boogie Smoogie" where they sing:

"We played a gig down at Cooley's Ballroom
Back when we were breaking in
We tried to play pretty for the people
but the people kept hollering:  BOOGIE

So we boogied"

Personal story aside:  The first time I saw ARS was in 1977, I think in the the first 1/2 of the year.  When A Rock An d Roll Alternative was out, and "So Into You" was on the charts.  They were opening act, I think for CDB.  Pretty sure it was the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh.  (probably 4/30/1977).  Anyway, I expected the super smooth groove that defined R&RA, but the sound was much more "Dog Days".

Forty-some years later, Dog Days is probably tied with Rock And Roll Alternative as my favorite ARS album.  But with a pretty big drop off to the other albums.

Oh, and ARS featured one of my favorite bass players, Paul Goddard.

Best songs:
Crazy, Boogie Smoogie, Dog Days, It Just Ain't Your Moon, Bless My Soul (instrumental)

Skips:
All Night Rain (this foreshadows their later hits).

The album cover?  I'd rate that as a POOR....

Obscurity:  This album peaked at #113, and didn't have any Top 40 songs (Dog Days made it to #64).  But I don't think the band is all that obscure, they had 2 Gold albums and 1 Platinum.  I mean, nobody's touting them for the Hall of Fame or anything, but if you were in school in the late 70's you ought to remember then.  not this album.  This album is NOT available at Amazon, but is on Spotify (I think a relatively recent addition, though!).  So I'll say "Kind of obscure".


Back Cover:



Inner Sleeve:




No comments: