Sunday, April 14, 2019

Album Review - John Fogerty - Centerfield


- - - - -
Artist:  John Fogerty
Album:  Centerfield
Released: 1985
- - - - -

Well, we're a couple weeks into baseball season, so the song Centerfield pops into minds around the USA.  I presume it still gets played in staduims around the country, too (but I haven't been to a Major League game in 2-3 years).  So with "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play" circling around my brain, I figured I should review John Fogerty's album of the same name.

John Fogerty was, of course, the leader of Creedence Clearwater Revival.  He was lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter for the band that dominated rock music from 1968 through 1972.  They released 7 albums in 3.75 years, hitting the Top 40 Thirteen times.  Nine of those songs made the Top 10, and 5 peaked at number 2.  They are one of the more iconic bands of that time period.
But all of that is a different story.  We're here to talk about John Fogerty.

In 1985, it had been 10 years since the music world had heard from John Fogerty, after his 1975 eponymous release.  That album peaked at #78, and had one moderately successful song, Rocking All Over The World, which peaked at #27.

Fast forward 10 years to early 1985 and the release of Centerfield.  The album got a lot of press, peaked at #1 on the US charts, and spawned 2 Top 40 hits.  Plus Centerfield, which didn't quite break the Top 40, stalling at #44. I believe I bought this sometime in late spring 1985, when it was current.  It is probably one of the last few albums I purchased new on vinyl, probably a year before I made the switch to CD.

As to the music:
The most notable thing about the album is that it sounds remarkably like a CCR album.  But since John Fogerty was the key person in the band, it isn't to surprising.  The album opens with the outstanding "The Old Man Down The Road", which peaked at #10 (Fogerty's best charting single).  It also inspired a lawsuit from CCR's old label that it sounded too much like Creedence.  In essence, Fogerty was sued for plagiarizing himself.  

The solid start of "Old Man Down..." is followed up by the "Rock And Roll Girls".  These two songs (along with Centerfield) are all great, and make the album worthwhile.

Sadly (IMHO, at least), the rest of the album is generally forgettable.  "Big Train (From Memphis)" and "I Can't Help Myself" are good, but not great.  And each album side ends with a song slamming  Saul Zaentz, owner of Fantasy Records. (Mr. Greed" and "Vanz Kant Danz".   I get it, there was a lot of bad blood between Fogerty and Fantasy, and he had good reason to be unhappy.  But these songs just seem bitter to me, and combine for 9:35 of music that I simply don't dig.

So, what's it all add up to?  I'll give it 3.5/5 stars.  While Centerfield has several super songs, and mostly solid, it really hasn't gotten played much over the past 39 years.  


Back Cover:

Record Sleeve (front):



The back of the record sleeve is lyrics...


No comments: