Wednesday, April 03, 2019

Album Review - Missing Persons - Spring Session M


- - - - -
Artist:  Missing Persons
Album:  Spring Session M
Released: 1982
- - - - -

A couple of days ago, I was listening to an iPod playlist "Walking" and the Missing Persons' "Walking In LA" came up.  Well, that's an album I hadn't played in a while...  So, I fixed that. 

I was a little surprised to see that Spring Session M came out in 1982, just a few months after I had graduated college.  Because I didn't have MTV back then, and I distinctly remember the video for Words.   But I'm pretty confident I had heard Destination Unknown on the radio.   Both of those songs peaked at #42 on the Billboard Charts, but I would've heard them on WHFS, which wasn't top 40 anyway.

Trivia I didn't know until today:  The album title "Spring Session M" is an anagram of the band's name.  I was actually wondering...

Anyway, I've had this on vinyl since it was new, but it had kind of faded from my mind.  I think it's just a reflection of the sound of the time, that early-mid-80's blend of new-wave and pop rock.   Heavy on synthesizers...  really heavy on the synthesizers.   But listening to the album now, it really is quite good.  Especially in context to the time.

Kind of funny, Allmusic gavve this album 4 stars (out of 5) but the actual review is rather scathing.  You can read the whole thing here, but he sums it as "Spring Session M is somewhat overwhelmed by the Cyndi Lauper screechiness of lead singer Dale Bozzio's vocals, Warren Cuccurullo's wailing guitars, and the relentless chirpiness of the keyboards and synthesizers".   I noted the syth-heaviness, but that's a product of the time.  I will acknowledge that Dale Bozzio's vocal inflections can get a little  well, I just say noticeable.  But not a fatal flaw by any stretch.

Best songs:  Words, Destination Unknown, Noticeable Ones, Walking In LA
Weakest:  No Way Out, Rock and Roll Suspension.

Overall, a good album, worth digging out every once in a while, if a little dated.  3.5/5 stars.

If they had dropped those last 2 songs and released it as a concise 38 minute package, it probably would've been better.  IMHO.

Back cover:


Nothing too special here, except the album title in morse code after the track listing.

Inner sleeve:

Just a "standard" lyric sheet here, except for the Band Name (above) and Album Title (below) in mores code....



And some art on the flip of the liner:


And, now that you've made it to the end, here's a link to other album reviews here:
LINK
Other Album Reviews Here

No comments: