Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Wood River Distribution Center


This is one of those spots that I drive by all along.  Not daily, or even weekly, but probably 10-12 times a year.  And I always think I should take a photo.  But for years, I haven't.  Either the light is wrong, or the traffic is wrong, or there's not really a good angle with the fence and the retaining wall...  always something.

That's far too common for me.  Then one day, the spot will be gone.  A building torn down, a tank repainted...  whatever.  And I kick myself for my inaction.

WELL, the other day, fate conspired to action.  I was headed from Alton area to home, and decided to make a side trip.  For giggles, I plugged the address into my phone's gps to see what the best route would be...  And as I was making a turn south, it updated to direct me east.  It told me to U-turn, pretty much right in front of this tank.  And since I was right there, I couldn't come up with an excuse to not go the extra 400 feet or so to get the shot.  I pulled as far to the side of the side road as I could, opened my door and stood on the driver's seat to get high enough to manage this.

It'll never win any awards, but I'm satisfied with it.  And glad I made it happen.

I have no clue how old this tank is, but that version of the Amoco logo is apparently from 1970-2002.
I'm guessing it is not in use, given the general state of it.  Looking at Google Street View, I see a sign at the back corner of the area saying Arcadis.  Looking them up on line, I'm wondering if they're getting ready to "remediate" this spot.

From google maps:



No comments: