Wednesday, October 23, 2019

This Way Or That?

So...  last weekend our Church had a Fall-Festival a little outside town.  Nice place out in the Southern Illinois Farmlands, with a lake.  Hayrides, s'mores ny the fire pit, fishing...  good times.

It had been a nice day, and despite potential for some rain, it stayed dry.  BUT, around 5pm, we did get clouds rolling in, which provided some photo ops.  I had my "real" camera in the car, but decided the wide angle of the iPhone would better suit what I was envisioning.  So, here's my (original) take:


I'm a sucker for these kinds of "big sky" shots, as regular visitors probably know.And I do like this one...  better in color than monochrome, with that yellow color along the horizon.  I processed this in the phone, using snapseed.  Anyway, all's happy, I got my shot, time to move on.  Right?


Well, maybe not.  just a couple of minutes later (3, by the time tags), I decided to do a landscape version of the same scene.  I didn't even look at it for a couple of days, but when I did, I rather liked it, too!


In this version, the "star" of the show is the shoreline.  The contrast between the clouds and reflections certainly comes in.  And again, the muted colors along the horizon.

I posted the first (portrait orientation) photo to 365project that day.  And the second (landscape orientation) a couple of days later.  Both versions received their "popular" and "trending" designations.  Which is pretty cool.

If there's a point here, I guess it is that you should keep looking at a scene, keep wondering.  And try different takes.

So, do you have a preference?

No comments: