Thursday, May 14, 2020

10 Albums Influence 7-of-10

Continuing to pop these in every couple of days, will get through all 10 sometime!!

So, over on the Book of Face, I recently did a challenge:  "Choose 10 albums that greatly influenced my taste in music.  post one album per day for 10 consecutive days.  No explanations, no reviews, just album covers."

Obviously, I had to do it.  But as hard as it was to pick 10 personally influential albums, it was harder yet to post with no explanations!!  Fortunately, I have no such restriction on my blog.  'Cause I make the rules!  So here we go, a reposting of the 10 albums I posted on Facebook, but now with a short explanation of each explain WHY I chose it as influential. And not exactly consecutive days, but t'll have to do!

Note:  these are presented in the same random order I used over there....

Day 7 of 10


Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Dirt Silver and Gold - 1976

A three disc compilation from NGDB, covering the first 10 years of their material.  Can't really call it a greatest Hits album, but it's still a treasure trove of music, covering their Jug Band days through "Mr. Bojangles" and "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".  I expect that I only knew Mr Bojangles at the time that I bought tise (when it was current, 1976).

As to influence, this album really opened the doors for me to the world of bluegrass music.  It didn't hurt that I discovered backpacking about the same time I discovered this album, and significant time in my personal growth.  Blah blah blaaah....  The original release came with a (folded) poster of the album cover, which adorned my dorm room in college (and subsequent apartment).

But this is an album where I know every note of every song, one I still listen to today.  And one that opened new doors for me.

No comments: