Tuesday, May 19, 2020

A Close Shave



If you've followed me for any length of time, you may have noticed that I struggle with Macro.  A  LOT.  But I've been working on it lately, and I'm feeling a little better.  Not sure it'll ever be my favorite form, but it has it's moments.

Anyway, over at 365project, they do a "Macro" challenge, and I've been trying to focus on it.  To that end, I've entered 2 of the 4 rounds this year.  It's a start.

The current round has the theme Morning defined as "Something you see in first thing in a Morning, or something that's Morning to you."  Above is what I came up with, I was pretty happy with it.  And it was picked as a Finalist, so that's kinda cool.

Notes on Technique:
As much as I love my Fujifilm X-T3, I don't have a good lens for macro with it.  I decided recently to dig out my old Nikon D3200,, and the 60mm Macro lens I had for it.  And, most importantly, the tripod.  That's probably my biggest failure as a photographer...  I don't like tripods.  I use a mono-pod some, but I just prefer to travel light.


Anyway, I set up the tripod, and a sheet of matboard as a backdrop.  And leave the D3200/macro lens with it, and ready to go.  Tripod, ISO=100, step down to get some depth of field....   and try to figure the whole composition thing on close up.

Here's some other examples:
Nuts
Down To The Wire
Argus
Samara




No comments: