Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Tufted Titmouse Tasting an Orange


I've never put fruit out for the birds until a couple of days ago.  My sister-in-law mentioned it, and we had some past-prime clementines.  I haven't seen a lot of traffic yet, but the pulp is getting eaten.  This was the first bird I've actually seen eating.  I'm hoping to attract some more variety of birds....

This is "just" one of our regulars, a tufted titmouse.

I rather like this photo, though.  The background is the big oak up front,, and the little oak behind.  Nice blur with the the shallow depth of field.  I like the overall grey feel, except for the POP of orange.

Technical notes:
This was shot with my Fujifilm, X-T3 mirrorless, with the long zoom (200 mm, which is 300mm equivalent @35mm).  There's also a healthy crop, but not extreme.  It was pretty late (~6:30 pm) on an overcast, wet day, so the lighting was pretty flat.  I was shooting aperture priority, which I don't do often.  But trying to catch birds, I like not worrying about exposure.  ISO is all the way up at 1250, due to the lowish light.  Really pleased with the X-T3 in this regard there's not much noise.  I was shooting in "continuous" mode, this is from a burst of 5-6 shots.  Shutter speed is 1/110 sec, pretty slow for moving birds....


No comments: