Saturday, June 06, 2020

Female Cardinal at the Feeder



I think she's moving empty sunflower shells out of the feeder. Either that or she dropped a full one.

I was watching her at the feeder, with ger back to me, hoping for some sort of shot.

- - - -
Some technical details on my bird photos, for the geeks out there.  The bird feeder is about 16.5 ft from our picture window, I general stand anywhere from 2-4 ft from the window.  So I'm just under 20 ft from the bird.  (If I get too close, they spook, especially the cardinals).

I'm using my Fujifilm X-T3, with the 55-200mm zoom at 200mm.  The Fujifilm has a 1.5 crop ratio, so that's a 300mm equivalent.  The resulting image is 6240x4160 pixels,  or 26 Megapixels.  I've been shooting bird photos at pretty high ISO in order to get good shutter speeds.  And frequently in burst mode, to try and catch the action.  In this case ISO=2500, F/4.8 gave me 1/1000th sec.  The X-T3 does great at high ISO, and I'm able to do a significant crop and still have a crisp / clear photo.  There's some minor post processing on the computer to clean it up, but not much.

Here's the original, if you want to compare.  Click to see larger.




No comments: