Thursday, November 24, 2022

Ban-hammered!

 Well, maybe ban-hammered is overstating it, but I received an email today that one of my blog posts has been "put behind a warning for readers".  

My first thought is SPAM!  After all, I don't post sensitive stuff, nothing political, or anything that I'd expect to justify a "Sensitive Content Warning".  And, the post in question is from May 2009, 13+ years ago!  Naturally, I don't click on links, so I went to the offending post straight form the blog.  And yep, that specific post is replaced with a text warning "This summary is not available. Please click here to view the post.", which leads to a page that carries an "are you sure you want to continue" type warning.

So now I was curious, accepted the warning and pulled up the offending post, It is a copy-paste of a spam email I received way back when (no links or anything) offering me an opportunity to join a "who's who" type organization.  With some kind of mocking commentary about me feeing special to have received such a prestigious offer. Seems pretty benign to me, and didn't bother anybody for a rather long time.

I suspect my real failing was now "xxx"-ing out the name of the organization and the (apparent) name of the sender.  Perhaps somebody googled the company (or their name) and was offended to find my mocking blog post.  And reported it.

So now I'm conflicted about what to do.  I could modify the post and "appeal" the decision.  I could delete it altogether, which might not resolve the warning.  Or I could just leave it behind a warning.  I mean, we're talking about a 13 year old post with a total of 5 views.  I'll probably removed everything and resubmit just to clear the warning...

No comments: