Wednesday, March 06, 2024

One Album A Day - 010

 One Album A Day - 010

 As I noted before, I've been working through the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, as presented though the 1001 album generator web site.  My goal is to present a week (or so) of reviews, once every week (or so).  

So here's the next few albums I listened to:

# - Year - Album - Artist - Rating - Global
78 - 199 - Nevermind - Nirvana - 4 - 4.4
79 - 1977 - New Boots And Panties - Ian Dury - 4 - 2.78
80 - 2000 - Parachutes - Coldplay - 3 - 3.45
81 - 1971 - Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones - 5 - 3.88
82 - 1970 - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath - 4 - 3.76
83 - 1986 - Graceland - Paul Simon - 5 - 3.75
84 - 1999 - The Contino Sessions - Death In Vegas - 2 - 2.91
85 - 2014 - Lost In The Dream - The War On Drugs - 3 - 3.41
86 - 1978 - Shalimar - Rahul Dev Burman - 3 - 2.63
87 - 2007 - Cross - Justice - 1 - 3.31



And this posting's Reviews:

78 - Nevermind - Nirvana - 4
Nevermind was a watershed album, a new sound that captured everyone’s attention. I know (now) it wasn’t Nirvana’s first album, nor were they the first grunge band. But they were were the first to explode, and this is the album that broke out. I was in my early 30’s when this came out, and I was mightily impressed. I can imagine the impact it would’ve had on me if I had been 17. The first five songs are outstanding, and the rest are very solid. That said, this is not an album that I listen to very often. It is overall dark, and unhappy. It starts to wear the further along it gets. Kinda of like the Sex Pistols, which came out when I WAS 17. I’d play side one of that album at top volume before heading out with the guys, but rarely side 2 (back in the vinyl days, kids). And it just doesn’t get that much play these days. Part of me says this deserves a 5 for the first 1/2 cultural significance, Weird Al did a spoof of Teen Spirit after all. But I settle to 4, because the 2nd half drags, and it’s simply not something that gets played (by me) very often. 4/4

79 - New Boots And Panties - Ian Dury - 4
I miss 1977. A year that saw the release of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, Pink Floyd’s Animals, Styx’s Grande illusion, Meatloaf’s Bat Out Of Hell, Steely Dan’s Aja, Foreigner’s debut…But also the debut albums from The Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Clash, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads. And even Ian Dury. Point is, it was a wide open time, open to a wide range of music. And I liked it all. I own (and have long owned) almost every album mention above, except Ian Dury. I have singles of Sex and Drugs and Rick and Roll, and of Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. Fun, a little bit whacky, decidedly original. Not boring. But, before today, I’d not heard the whole album. So let’s get to it: This album was everything I hoped for. Fun, a little bit whacky, decidedly original. Not boring. It built nicely, peaking with the latter songs. I’m going to want to listen to this again, spend some more time with this one. 4/5

80 - Parachutes - Coldplay - 3
I know the name Coldplay, but I don't think I've heard anything by them. At least not knowingly. It is a lot more "pleasant" than I expected, Pretty melodic, has that sort of guitar sound that i equate with a lot of Christian Contemporary music. kind of a pulsing, doubling the beat kind of thing. With a decidedly mid-tempo beat. The vocals are a little high-pitched, but clear and not strained. The overall sound is clean and clear. It's all fine. Just fine. As in only fine. Somewhat "backgroundy"... Nothing to especially like, or dislike. It was intersting to read the reviews here, seems that Coldplay inspires a lot of VERY postitive and VERY negative reactions. I guess it cultural, where you may have been (personal space) in 2000. Looking at them without that lens, I can't really generate a lot of emotional response one way or the other. Solid 3/5.

81 - 1971 - Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones - 5
Sticky Fingers was the first Sones studio release of the 70’s, coming out in Spring 1971. This was a staple of “Album Oriented” radio, and was a notable part of the soundtrack of my teens. “Brown Sugar”, Bitch” and “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” are top notch, with “Wild Horses” as a solid change of pace (though not as good as “Angie”). One of the first Rolling Stones albums I owned. An Iconic album from an iconic band, with some iconic songs; complete with an iconic album cover. What’s not to like? Well…. Like a lot of Stones records, the highs are VERY high, but there’s a fair bit of middling songs, and a couple that are not so good. For me at least, the last 1/3 of the album isn’t compelling, while the first 1/2 is outstanding. And like a lot of Stones records, often the lyrics aren’t politically correct. Especially by current standards, but even back in the day. At least they were consistent, and unapologetic. The only questing is if those couple of average songs can drag this down from 5 to 4. After a fresh listen, I’m settling on 5.

82 - 1970 - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath - 4
Another iconic album that has been in my collection for many years. The debut album from Black Sabbath, an album many credit with creating Heavy Metal (TM). Unquestionably iconic. That said, this is not my favorite Sabbath album, and I never owned it on vinyl. I think they were still developing as an entity at this point, and their next 4 albums are objectively better. But that just means “really good” instead of “outstanding”. Overall, it’s just not as “tight”, as their latter albums, which is supported by the reports the whole thing was recorded in a single 12 hr session, with virtually no overdubs. Evil Woman is the only cover version in the Sabbath catalog, and it strikes me as an A&R man’s addition is search of a hit. I’ve often wondered how much better this could’ve been with a bit more care in the process, a bit more faith from the record company. But this is the first, the one that defined (not redefined) heavy music. And there’s a several great songs. This is a solid album, groundbreaking. But I’ll still prefer Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, or even Vol. 4. All of which I owned on vinyl since the 70’s. Another solid 4/5

83 - Graceland - Paul Simon - 5
Paul Simon’s Graceland is one of those albums that I consider to be “important”. It had been 3 years since Simon’s last album, which had only reached #35 on the US charts, and 6 years since his last top 40 hit. Simon had just turned 45, he was recently divorced, and his star seemed to be fading. He’s quoted as saying he was “in a tailspin”. In response, he did something completely different. He was given a bootleg cassette of music from South Africa, and ended up going to South Africa to create an album with local musicians. And what an album! Graceland features a sound that was heavily influenced by the South African music scene, and has a sound and feel that stretched into new areas. The influence varies from light to heavy, but is always present. The result is Simon’s most successful album. Multi platinum around the world, Top 10 in at least a dozen countries. And deservedly so. The songs range from brilliant to very good. It opened the door for wider recognition and discussions about the political situation in South Africa, it exposed countless people to new types of music. It’s filled with memorable songs, and the total is greater than the sum of the parts. 5/5

84 - 1999 - The Contino Sessions - Death In Vegas - 2
I dunno, maybe I’d dig this electronica stuff if I (still?) did drugs. Or if I had done (at some point) the “right” drugs. But I don’t, or I didn’t, so I just don’t get it. This is better than some of the electronica this project has served up, but it is still, at best, background music. It’s got some decent grooves, but nothing happens with them…. Except repetition. My main reaction to this album is BORED. Each song, after a minute or so, just merges into the overall background. Actually, background isn’t the right word, it implies a certain not-intrusive feel. This is not quiet music. Again, I imagine this being the sound of a dark club with flashing lights and lots of folk doing drugs that didn’t exist when I was in my 20s. And even when I was younger, I wasn’t into that kind of scene. The best analogy to my days would be to say this is More Iron Butterfly than Pink Floyd. You know: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, the cool little 3 minute song that’s really a 17+ minute exploration of… …. Well, something mind altered. Not that I would know… That said, Alsha, with Iggy Pop vocals (more spoken than sung) rises above it. It could be a pretty decent 3:30 song, but it drones on for almost 6 minutes, and loses its edge. Really just not my thing. I’ll give it 2 stars for the almost cool Iggy Pop song. I didn’t give up on the listen, but I wasn’t sad when it was done. 2/5

85 - Lost In The Dream - The War On Drugs - 3
I probably shouldn’t have read some reviews before listening, but I did. “Underwhelming”, “I’ve never understood the hype”, ultimately one dimensional”, “fairly uninspiring”…. Uh oh. Especially worrisome we’re several comments about the drumming being the same across the album. The problem with that is that once it is mentioned, you can’t help but notice. And once you notice, it is hard to ignore. Like quite a few albums I’d heard through this project, it’s not bad. But neither is it especially good. Certainly not “must hear”. Solidly in the OK but no interest in hearing again. A good bit of this is downright lethargic. And most of the songs go on and on without adding anything. Over 1/2 the songs are 6+ minutes (we’ll 5:55+), all would be better if truncated by at least a minute. I’m not against longer songs, just longer songs with no reason. And the band name is just more evidence that all the good band names were gone by the year 2000. 3/5, but barely.

86 - Shalimar - Rahul Dev Burman - 3
OK, this will be interesting, I've only had a slight exposure to anything Bollywood. On the other hand, I do have several movie soundtracks in my collection, and cam appreciate the form. This is actually pretty good stuff. A little out of my "zone", a little weird and certainly different. But it's fun, and a little funky, and not boring. My only real complaint is that it's not especially well produced. In particular, the vocals aren't crips and clear. Overall, 3/5 with props for being interesting. 3/5

87 - Cross - Justice - 1
This is my 87th day doing this project, and the 9th Electronica album I’ve been assigned. More than 1 in 10 rate. Coming in to this listen, Electronica is my second worst rated genre, at 1.88 average. After this rating is added, that’ll drop to 1.78. I just hope I don’t get subjected to any/many more. Sorry, this just isn’t my thing. And this specific Electronica offering is probably my least favorite of the Electronica albums I’ve had to endure. 1/5




No comments: