Friday, September 20, 2024

Birding, or at least Birdsounds...

 So I went for a walk at Schon Park yesterday, and used the Merlin Ap to listen for birds.  I'm getting (A little) better at recognizing (a few) birds, but it's on ongoing process.

See below for a list of what I heard.  Not that I did see some Turkey Vultures, but they were as quiet as usual:


Merlin "heard: the following, in order of appearance. This was over ..

  • American Crow
  • Least Sandpiper
  • Canada Goose
  • Eastern Phoebe
  • House Sparrow
  • Downy Woodpecker
  • Northern Cardinal
  • Blue Jay
  • Red Shouldered Hawk
  • Red-Bellied Woodpecker
  • Carolina Wren
  • Tufted Titmouse
  • American Robin
  • Hairy Woodpecker
  • Indego Bunting
  • Carolina Chickadee
  • Killdeer
  • Chipping Sparrow
  • Northern Bobwhite
  • European Starling
Not a bad slate for less than an hour and less than 2 miles.  And at midday (just before noon).  I'm not confident of the Sandpiper, I didn't hear (or see) it.  Similarly with the bobwhite, although Merlin has heard them before at Schon.

No comments: