Thursday, May 05, 2011

American Top 40 - May 5, 1984

Continuing our departure from the 70's this week, we’re looking at what was on the on the pop charts in the 80's. Today we'll look at the first week of May, 1984. Let’s see if we can do better than yesterday (when we looked at 1985):


The Top 10:

  1.  Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) - Phil Collins
  2. Hello - Lionel Richie
  3. Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins
  4. Footloose - Kenny Loggins
  5. Love Somebody - Rick Springfield
  6. To All The Girls I've Loved Before - Julio Iglesias (and Willie Nelson)
  7. You Might Think - Cars
  8. They Don't Know - Tracey Ullman
  9. Let's Hear It For The Boy - Deniece Williams
  10. Miss Me Blind - Culture Club

Well, I at least sort of remember 6 of these 10 songs. But, like yesterday (1985) I don’t have a single one in my collection(s)…. And I don’t really feel a need to change that.

So, looking at the Hot 100, what songs DO I have? Well, better than yesterday, but not a lot: 6 songs out of 100.

  • Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (#14) aside: I saw Cyndi Lauer in concert at University Of Maryland, when this album was current. I remember being HUGELY disappointed. The venue was the old basketball gym (I won’t even allow the word “arena”). I saw 2 concerts there: Lauper and The Jam. Both were disappointing. So maybe the rotten venue had something to do with it…..
  • You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want) - Joe Jackson (37) aside #2: I saw Joe Jackson twice in and around this time. Both times at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland, both were great shows.
  • Jump - Van Halen (#42)
  • Eat It - Weird Al Yankovic (#48)
  • Girls Just Want To Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (#51)
  • Thriller - Michael Jackson (#96)

There’s a few interesting / worthy songs that I don’t have, and probably ought to:

  • Authority Song - John Mellencamp (#16)
  • The Heart Of Rock And Roll - Huey Lewis & The News (#32)
  • Who's That Girl? - Eurythmics (#61)
  • 99 Luftballoons - Nena (#94)
  • Red, Red Wine - UB40 (#97)

No comments: