Friday, May 06, 2011

American Top 40, May 6, 1989

Continuing our departure from the 70's this week, we’re looking at what was on the on the pop charts in the 80's. Today we'll look at the first week of May, 1989. ’89 was the only year of the 80’s where the charts were released on 5/6. I’ll be surprised if I have much, but Let’s see !


 
 
 
The Top 10:

 
  1. Like A Prayer - Madonna
  2. I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi
  3. Real Love - Jody Watley
  4. Funky Cold Medina - Tone-Loc
  5. Forever Your Girl - Paula Abdul
  6. Second Chance - .38 Special
  7. After All - Cher (and Peter Cetera)
  8. Soldier Of Love - Donny Osmond
  9. Room To Move - Animotion
  10. She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals

 
Well, I kind of remember 4 of these 10 songs. But, like the past 2 days (1984 and 1985) I don’t have a single one in my collection(s)…. 1989 was the year we moved from Washington DC (Silver Spind, MD) to the St. Louis area.

 
So, looking at the Hot 100, what songs DO I have? Well, continuing the trend, not a lot: 5 songs out of 100.

 
  • Rocket - Def Leppard (#23) featuring my favorite one-armed drummer!
  • Stand - R.E.M. (#35) They had come a long way from when I saw them in ’83, but still had some moments…
  • You Got It - Roy Orbison (#47)
  • I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty (#63)
  • Paradise City - Guns N' Roses (#91)

  
Bottom, line, I’m glad this week’s look at the 80’s is over. A few gems, but lots of far between…..

 

No comments: