Thursday, June 21, 2012

Just Shoot Me #552 (revisited)

One of my posts from 6/21/2005, during the first year of this blog (started September 2004):
------

On this date (6/21) back in 1975, Olivia Newton John debutted on the charts with yet another Top 5 hit. "Please Mr Please" peaked at #3, one of 8 Top 5's for ONJ in the 70's (out of 16 Top 40 hits). Sing along now:

Please, Mister, please, don't play B-17, It was our song, it was his song, but it's over....
Please, Mister, please, if you know what I mean, I don't ever wanna hear that song again
------



Not sure what the original link was in 2007, but it's dead now.  I replaced it with a youtube link.  Just in case you want to rememeber that not all music the 70's was awesome.  But Newton-John was a powerhouse in the 70's, with nine (9) Top 10 songs in five (5) years.  She had seventeen (17) Top 40 hits in the decade, including three #1s.   In fact, I suppose Please Mr. Please was a disappointment, as it followed two consecutive #1 songs, "I Honestly Love You" and "Have You Never Been Mellow". 

Meanwhile, none of those songs are in my collection. No ONJ at all.  Not exactly the music I was digging when I was 14/15 years old.....




No comments: