June 1974... 40 years ago... I was freshly done with Middle School, turned 14.... Top of the World, I was... In sports, the NFL granted a franchise to the Seattle Seahawks... In science, we sent the first extraterrestrial message int space... in culture, UPC code debuted on consumer products.
What was happening in music?
Albums released in June 1974 include:
- Bad Compay - Bad Company (debut) - one of the most important and accomplished debut hard rock albums from the '70s...
- The Beach Boys - Endless Summer - Yep, a compillation, but it was my first Beach Boys album....
- Elton John - Caribou - After a string of really outstanding albums, this one was a pretty big disappointment. But I did have it...
- Bob Dylan and The Band - After The Flood
- Billy Don't Be A Hero - Bo Danaldson (6/15 and 6/22/74)
- Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot (6/29/74)
- Band On The Run - Paul McCartney and Wings (6/8/74)
- The Streak - Ray Stevens (6/1/74)
Some really good songs made their chart debuts:
- Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan (Peaked at #4)
- If You Wanna Get To Heaven - Ozark Mountain Daredevils (Peaked at #16)
- Another Park Another Sunday - Doobie Brothers (peaked at #32)
- Already Gone - Eagles (Peaked at #32)