Friday, March 11, 2016

R.I.P Keith Emerson



Wow, the bad year keeps getting worse.  I just saw that Keith Emerson has died today, 3/11/2016. 
And I was just listening to ELP today...

As a kid growing up in the 70's, ELP was part of the soundtrack of my youth.  They had several songs that were staaples of "AOR", from Lucky Man to Karn Evil #9. But my real introduction to them was the 1974 live album, "Welcome Back My Friends To The Show that Never Ends".  A massive triple album that broadened my musical perspectives.  It wasn't long before I acquired Brain Salad Surgery (on 8-Track!) and their first album.  Through the years I've picked up a lot more, most of the early 70's stuff...


From Glen Frey (Eagles) to David Bowie to Chris Squire (Yes)  to Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane), ...  Even George Martin (Beatles' producer).  Now Keith Emerson.  And we're only 10 weeks into the year.  Well, I suppose that's the way of it, these folk are all getting old, after all.  Still....


No comments: