Saturday, September 22, 2018

Album Review: Arrogance - Suddenly



Artist:  Arrogance

Album:  Suddenly

Released:  1980


How do I know these folks:  I saw Arrogance in a club in Raleigh, North Carolina when this album was out.  Sometime in 1980, pretty sure it was a place called "The Pier", IIRC, I picked up the album based on the strength of their show.  This album got solid radio play in the Raleigh/Durham area back in the day, but I don't think there was any national splash.  Allmusic calls them "rockers who became local heroes yet somehow never went nationwide...   It's not that they didn't try to achieve stardom beyond their natural stomping grounds. But timing was against them "

I've been trying to think of who they sound like....  My first response is Springsteen,...  But that may be a reflection on the bosses singing style (especially on Burning Desire).  Frankly, I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, so it's had to really say.  My next thought was Robbin Thompson Band's song "Brite Eyes".  But that probably doesn't help y'all much...  Maybe Greg Kihn Band, rockihnroll album?  Or the first Tommy Tutone?   But I did find some of this album on youtube so you can dial it up yourself.

There's some really good songs on this album, starting with "I'm Not Your Taxi", which was a regional hit in North Carolina.  Also Burning Desire, Suddenly, Bring It On Home.  The rest of the album is generally solid, there's no songs that I dislike.  Get Her Out Of My Life is probably my least favorite.

Anyway, if you see this in your favorite used record shop, grab it.  It is absolutely worth having.

There is a review at Allmusic, who gave them 4 stars (out of 5).  There's only 2 user reviews (pending mine), rated 4.5 out of 5.  I'll give this one a solid 3.5/5.0. 


Obscurity Index:   I'll call this "extremely obscure".  

The album was released on a major label (Warner Brothers), but I think it was pretty much a regional thing.  Nothing on the sigles chart.  As best as I can tell, they didn't make Billboard's album chart.  Not on Spotify, the album is not on Amazon.  How many of you out there in internet-land know these guys? 




- - - - 


Here's the back cover, click through for larger version...





The inner sleeve includes lyrics for the songs...


No comments: