Saturday, September 15, 2018

Album Review: Christopher Cross - Christopher Cross




Artist:  Christopher Cross
Album:  Christopher Cross
Year:  1979 (released in December 1979)

Christopher Cross burst onto the music scene in early 1980, seemingly out of nowhere.  The eponymous album yielded 4 hitsSailing (#1), Ride Like The Wind (#2), Never Be the Same (#15) and Say You'll Be Mine (#20).  The album dominated the 1980 Grammy Awards, winning Song Of The Year (Sailing), Album Of The Year, Best New Artist and Song Of The year (Sailing).  Certified 5x Platinum.  In other words, a smash that dominated the airwaves.

Of course, in 1980, I was mostly listening to other stuff.  Like The Pretenders.  The Jam.  The Police.  The B-52's.  Anything except Christoper Cross... 

So, why do I have this album?  Well, short answer is that I inherited it when I got married (35 years ago!).  And I'm confident I've never heard the album before I decided to check it out for this review.  Take one for the team, as it were.

- - - - -

So, what're my thoughts?  Of course I knew the four big hits.  Nobody who lived near a radio in 1980 could've avoided those songs.  The whole album is smooth, well produced and performed.   Michael McDonald sings a very prominent background vocal on a couple of songs, and fits in perfectly. At times I kind of feel a Boz Scaggs kind of a feel.  The song "Ride Like The Wind" is a very good pop song, even with Michael McDonald's contribution...

Bottom line:  this album is very good at being what it is.  An early 80's adult contemporary / pop record.  Lots of pleasant songs that you probably won't remember 20 years from now.  Not a lot of groove of energy.  And that's OK.  I don't hate it, but it won't be showing up in heavy rotation on my iPod.

Allmusic gives it a robust 4.5/5.0 stars, and stating "in truth, Christopher Cross was a hell of a record -- it just was a hell of a soft rock record, something that doesn't carry a lot of weight among most audiences".  I'll acknowledge the position, but not award the points.  I vacillated between 2.5 and 3.0/5.0....  It is a well done album in a style that I'm not a huge fan of.  I'm feeling generous today, and will go 3.0.

Obscurity Index:  The complete opposite of obscure..  I'm not sure how well remembered Christopher Cross is, but there wasn't a bigger album when it was new. NOT Obscure.

- - - - -

Here's the back cover, click for larger.  The inner sleeve is simply a solid green, with the lyrics in white.









No comments: