Sunday, November 11, 2018

Album Review - The Romantics - The Romantics



Artist:  The Romantics
Album:  The Romantics
Released:  January, 1980

- - - - -

Another promotional album.  Like Jules and The Polar Bears, I received this from a former roommate.  Presumably from the same source.  And while I understood why he might've not liked J&TPB, I don't see how anybody in 1980 could not like this!

The Romantics are super solid power pop, in the vein of bands like The Beat (1st album = October  '79), The Knack (1st album = June '79) and the dB's (1st album = January '81).  This music is the soundtrack of my mid-late college years, and a good time it was.  It opens with the driving "When I Look In Your Eyes", builds to a peak with "What I Like About You", which is immediately followed with a fun cover of the Kinks' "She's Got Everything".  And working on to close with "Gimme One More Chance".  Eleven songs, and everything on the album is good.

"What I like About You" was a minor hit (peaking at #49 on the Billboard Hot 100). But it got a lot of play at college parties at the time.  On the negative side, it eventually ended up "covered" in the extra features for one of the Shrek movies.  Oh well, sorry to have remembered that.  And sorrier still to have looked it up!

The album is on Spotify, and Amazon Prime.  Check it out!




Rear Cover:







No comments: