Monday, July 08, 2019

Happy Birthday Greg T. Walker!

Born today (July 8) in 1951, Greg Walker is 68 today!

Best know as founding member and bass player for the band Blackfoot.  For me, Blackfoot was the second wave* of Southern Rock.  Or maybe third, depending on how you slice it.  I discovered them with the album Strikes which came out in 1979, which came out about a year and a half after the Skynyrd crash.

Strikes is a very solid album, and includes two iconic songs:  Train Train, and Highway Song.  

I saw Blackfoot in August '79, when Strikes was pretty new.  They were support act for Marshall Tucker Band.  Seem to recall they were pretty good....

I must admit that I really don't know much of their later work, by the end of the 80's I was moving away from southern rock...  But they're on Spotify, I'll be checking them out!



An interesting interview with Greg Walker here.



Bands I would consider "2nd wave" would include Molly Hatchet ('78), Blackfoot ('79), Henry Paul Band ('79), and .38 Special ('80)  [dates are from key albums / singles, not inception]

No comments: