Thursday, September 12, 2019

NF-SOOC - 2

I posted Tuesday about the Nifty-Fifty-Straight-Out-Of-Camera challenge over at 365project.  My plan is to post my entries here, a couple every other day or so.  So here's my next posts, back to back sunsets:

NF-SOOC - 04
This was actually 54 minutes before sunset, according to the internet...  I'll call it close enough.
- - - - -

NF-SOOC-05
According to the internet, this was 3 minutes before sunset, although the sun was below the trees

- - - - -



- - - - -

I remember learning at some point in time (probably late 70's / early 80's) that 50mm was the "standard" lens for 35mm cameras because it provided a perspective equivalent to what the human eye sees.  As opposed to wide angle or telephoto.   Here's one explanation.

Anyway, it all gets complicated when we shift into the digital world.  But, to keep is simple:  The sensor size in a digital camera is (usually) not the same size as in a 35mm film camera.  To get the equivalent "human perspective" lens (or zoom setting), we have to divide the 50mm basis by the ratio of the sensor compared to 35mm film.  This ratio is called the crop factor.

My Fujifilm X-T3 has a 1.5 crop factor (as did my Nikon D3200 and my Nikon D70 and many digital cameras).  SO, if I want to set my camera to the same perspective as a 50 mm lens on an old 35mm camera, then I divide 50mm by 1.5 and get 33.3mm.  Make sense?

Meanwhile, my iPhone has a fixed 3.99mm lens, with crop factor of 7, resulting in a 28mm equivalent perspective.  Which is a wider angle than "normal".  Crystal Clear, Right?  The point (or A point, at least) is that you can't use an iPhone for a Nifty-Fifty challenge.  I love my iPhone's camera, but not for this task.




No comments: