Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Documentary?


So, I posted this one over at 365project recently, and received the following comment:

not much for the title but great image , better with no title … you have some nice work in your profile … love see more people stuff , try some doc. stuff...

First off, I had posted this with the title "36 - Farm To Table".  Which is a pretty stinky title.  But I do try to avoid "untitled".   As time I've used a date code, like #43867, which is the number Excel uses for 2/6/2020.  Or truncate it to 4 digits, #3867?

BUT.  The point of this post isn't titling.  It is the comment "try some doc stuff".  Meaning (of course?) documentary photography.  Which got me thinking.  What exactly is documentary photography??

One site says "Documentary photography is a style of photography that provides a straightforward and accurate representation of people, places, objects and events, and is often used in reportage".  Another says "Documentary photographers ... are expected to capture the world or everyday life, as it exists, without stage managing or directing or editing the scene"

Based on those descriptions, I feel like I do a fair amount of documentary photograpy.  I'd probably do more if my life were less boring!!

I made a TAG over at 365project with some images I thought fit.  What say y'all?
Look here



No comments: