Sunday, April 19, 2020

Album Review: McKendree Spring - 3

"Sitting on McKenzie river... 
listening to McKendree Spring.
Trying to get into heaven... 
Trying to get into almost everything"

Pure Prairie League - You're Between Me


You're Between Me is one of my favorite PPL songs.  It is off their 1st album, which I've owned since the mid 70's. Somewhere way back then, I came to understand that McKendree Spring wasn't a nature feature, it was a band.  Which makes a lot more sense, because I can see listening to a waterfall, but a spring?

Anyway, I never had occasion to hear McKendree Spring back then, and for some reason it never really came to my mind in today's era of internet.  So...  not too long ago, I was at a used record store with my son, just browsing around on a rainy day, and flipping through the M's, I came across a McKendree Springs album.  Well, I just had to pick it up.



- - - - - - - - - -
Artist:  McKendree Spring
Album:  3
Released: 1972
- - - - - - - - - -

McKendree Spring is described on Wikipedia as "a progressive folk-rock band".  Their web site says: "Experimental and innovative, McKendree Spring mixed blues, folk and country with a progressive musical vision."

It's pretty cool, not really like Pure Prairie League, but that wasn't exactly expected.  Over 1/2 the album is covers, which is a little surprising for a band's 3rd album.  It's not stunning, and not really shocked it wasn't huge.  But it is solidly good, and I enjoy it..

It starts with a version of Neil Young's Down By The River...  Mostly acoustic guitar and fiddle, built over strings. With some electric guitar soloing...   Very different, but it works.

Fading Lady is a slow, sad song, which  reminds me of The Eagles' Lying Eyes, more in tone than style...  a song about a lady who marries for security, but ends up dissatisfied.  Without the whole aduktry thing the Eagles used....  Again, it works...

Flying Dutchman is probably my favorite song on the record.  A lot more "electric". Actually a fair bit more electric.  We're not talking Deep Purple though.

These are my favorite 3 songs on the album, but it is all good.  There's an interesting version of "Heart Like A Wheel", which was the Anna McGarrigle track better known by Linda Ronstadt's. And an Arlo Guthrie tune "Oh In The Morning".

The album closes with a 9 minute exposition, "God Bless The Conspiracy", which certainy fits the progrssive, experimental and innovative" category.  Unfortunately, it's also my least favorite song on the album.  To me, it seems a lot too random, incoherent.  But hey, that's just me.

All in all, a solid 3.5 or 4 stars out of 5.  Certainly worth picking up if you see it!






No comments: