Monday, August 03, 2020

Making Something From Nothing?


Not an especially dramatic photo, but I'll go with the term "subtle"...



This was taken at Columbia Bottom Conservation Area.  It was overcast, around 50% chance of rain, unseasonably cool (70's) and a bit breezy.  But we had the grandkids for the weekend, and decided to take a chance to show them the sunflower fields.  Anyway, once we arrived, I decided to grab a shot of the open bottomlands, with the low clouds skating along.  I was even deliberate about setting my zoom to get a 50mm equivalent, just because....  But I realized the "straight out of camera" probably wouldn't meet my expectations, and that notable post-processing would be needed.

- - - - -

There's actually a fair amount of work here.  Starting with a slight leveling, and the normal brightness / contrast adjustments (Levels). Then adjusting white balance.  I had the camera set to "Daylight", and there was a distinct blue cast.  Then I decided to crop from the starting 4x6 ratio to a panorama ratio.  This is 2.44:1, "standard" seems to be 3:1.  Oh well!

Once I settled all that, it was time to take the big swing with effects.  I use Topaz Simplify for range percentage of my photos, because I like the suite of controls.  I usually either tuen off the simplify filter, or tur it way down.  It has great ability to to work with dynamics, structure, saturation, etc.

In this case, I couldn't get happy with a single version where the sky and the field suited me.  So I did a separate edit for the sky, and combined them in Photoshop (Elements).

Anyway, here's the "Straight From Camera" version:




SO:  was it worth it?

No comments: