Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Where Eagles Dare

 So, last Sunday, my daughter texted me that her family had seen eagles at Ellis Island that day, and that they were arriving back in the area.  So my wife and I decided to do an eagle watching outing the next day.  

Of course Monday dawned socked in by fog.  But we decided to head out, with the expectation that the fog would lift as the day progressed.  When we arrived at Ellis Island, it was thicker yet, no chance to see much of anything.  We took the opportunity to fill up with some Missouri gas (which is $0.20/ gallon less than Illinois due to taxes), bounce back across the Alton Bridge, and decided to head up the Great River Road and see if we could see anything.

When we got to Pere Marquette State Park, we could see across the Illinois River to the far shore, which was an improvement.  And we did see one juvenile Bald Eagle.  It was hanging out in a tree by the river, but as we got close, it took off, did a circle over the river, and returned to the tree.  So I was able to get a series of decent photos:






So it wasn't a total loss, and we enjoyed the time.

Yesterday was bright and sunny and warmer (high 40;s), so my son and I headed back over to Ellis Island for a hike.  We did see 1 eagle; passing by high overhead.  I took a quick shot just to prove it was there:



Or, super blown-up:



I'll declare Eagle season open! 


No comments: