Friday, January 01, 2021

2020 Review - 365project Themes / Challenges

 So, one of my photography goals for 2020 was to continue a focus on their ongoing themes.  I selected 9 ongoing challenges to target:

  • Scenes From the Road
  • Album Cover Challenge
  • Edit The Stuffing Out Of It (ETSOOI)
  • Song Title
  • Eye Of The Beholder (EOTB)
  • What Would You Do (WWYD)
  • Black and White
  • Technique
  • 365project Monthly Theme

So how did that work out?

Winner - Eye Of The Beholder #122

Of  the 9 targeted challenges, there were 101 editions which were completed in 2020.  I entered 74 of them (73% rate) which is slightly below 2019 (80% participation in the 9 categories targeted that year).  I was selected as Finalist 33 times (45% of entries), and was voted Winner 6 times.  That's a slight improvement in Finalists (up from 42%), and doubled the number of winners from 2019.  So all-in-all its pretty good.

Winner - Macro - In Nature

My best challenges were: Album Cover Challenge (7 finalists, 1 win), B&W Themes (6 finalists, 1 win), ETSOOI (6 finalists, 0 wins), and EOTB (6 finalists, 2 wins).  My worst were:  365-monthly (1 finalist in 7 entries), Song Title and Scenes of the Road  (Each with 2 finalists, and 1 win), and What Would You Do (2 finalists).

Winner - BW-54 - High Contrast

I also tracked 7 other ongoing challenges at the site.  Predictably, my participation rate and my finalist rates were both lower (56% participation, 30% finalists, 2 wins).  

Winner - Scenes Of The Road #17

Not bad, and an improvement over 2019.

So, what about 2021?  I'm not sure.  I will continue to do challenges, but will probably tweak the ones I focus on.  I've been disappointed in the way that Would You Do has evolved, with focus shifting away from darkroom techniques towards adding elements.  And Scenes Of the Road has shifted, after a bit of "controversy" over whether it sould be Scenes OF or Scenes FROM, and what those terms meant. Anyway, I'll probably deemphasize those, and step up on Macro, Minimalist and/or Mundane.





No comments: