Friday, August 26, 2022

Spam Spam Spam Spam

 Every once in a while, I check my spam folders to make sure nothing got misplaced.  It's been ages since I've seen that happen, but still easy enough to check.

Lately, I've noticed an uptick in the good-old Nigerian scam.  With a 2022 twist:  Now they've upgraded from a Nigerian Prince to a woman, a victim of the "Russian civil unrest in Ukraine ",,,,  The wife of a contractor.  Sadly, the poor woman has "already lost [her] family, [her] husband, son and daughter to the cold hands of death"....  Fortunately, her husband transferred a "reasonable" amount of funds to a Security Company in France" 

Well, since life in Ukraine is so risky these days, this woman has decided to entrust me, a random stranger, with the care and custody of the funds for investment purposes in my country!  A mere 8.5M euros. She adds "I know that a million words would not make you help me,nor would a million tears but I want you to bear in mind that I'm sending you a strong message as a widow which I have come to plead with you to please help me in this situation."

I will say that the spelling and grammer are much better than the old Nigerian scams used to be. 

It is an interesting twist that there is no actual mention of what's in it for me.  Just a request that I claim the funds "as a good business partner" to her late husband and I provide "care and custody" of them.  Maybe the scam has determined that people are catching on to the reality that nobody is just going to give a fortune to a random stranger?  I guess I could reply and see what my cut of the 8.5 Million would be.....   But that would be stupid, since it is a transparent scam.

The sad thing is they send out millions of these queries, and it only takes a handful of people to fall for it to be worth their time.  Maybe I'll buy a couple of lottery tickets, at least I know how much I'l lose, and there is an actually chance (miniscule, but >0) I might win a few bucks.


No comments: