Sunday, October 09, 2022

Concert Review - PPL / ARS / MTB - Part 1, Overview

 


The night of the TLA's (three letter acronyms)!

Last night (110/08/2022) my wife and I saw a Souther Rock throwback show at the Family Arena, in St. Charles, MO.  A trio of bands from for the '70's/:  Marshall Tucker Band, Atlanta Rhythm Section and Pure Prairie League. All bands I've seen before (but 40 yrs ago), and all bands that I are well represented in my music collection.  

I had seen the show advertised, and decided not to drop the dough.  Primarily because of the dramatic turnover in the bands, and the fact that the Family Arena is;ne an outstanding venue.  It's not bad, just a a ty[ical (smaller) soccer / arena football type venue.  Reportedly about 10k capacity for sports event, and 6,500-ish for "half-house concerts".  And 35-40 minutes drive (each way).  But  I've seen at least 5 shows there, and it is entirely adequate.  Anyway, I had decided to take a pass on this show, and then I got an email that one of the local radio stations was giving away 2 front row seats, and some number of other pairs of tickets.  Can't beat free, so we decided to give it a shot.  And we won a pari of the runner up seats.  Well, you can't beat free!

Predictably, the free tickets weren't greatm up near the rafters and raght along the front edge of the stage.  The biggest problem with the upper deck seats at Family Arena is there is absolutely no leg room.  But, there crowd was pretty sparse, so we (and our fellow nose-bleed folk) were able to shift around a bit and dangle our legs into the seats in front of us.  So it was fine.  I'm sure my bad kness would not have been able to tolerate it if it had been crowded.  

But crowded it was not. I'd guess the arena was less than 1/2 full, the floor was maybe 3/4 full.  I was pretty surprised, since these are well known bands.  The image below is 20+ minutes before the show started, so not a good judge f the crowd....  


I'll post individual reviews of each of the bands, stay tuned!


No comments: