Tuesday, February 28, 2023

1973 In Music - February's Almost Made the Charts.

 So, with my ongoing series of posts on music from 50 years go, and what we were listening to, I've thought a lot about adding a list of great songs that made the Hot 100, but didn't make the Top 40.  As I've started a new year (and a new spreadsheet) I figured I'd give it a shot.

SO, starting last month, I'm looking at songs that dropped off the charts during the month, but never made the Top 40.  And for the February, I counted 22.  Here they are, with peak position noted:

  • I Can't Stand To See You Cry - Smokey Robinson and The Miracles - 45
  • You've Got To Take It (If You Want It) - The Main Ingredient - 46
  • Lucky Man - Emerson, Lake and Palmer - 51
  • Daytime Night-Time - Keith Hampshire - 51
  • Don't Leave Me Starvin' For Your Love (Part 1) - Holland-Dozier - 52
  • What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin' - James Brown-Lyn Collins - 56
  • Songman - Cashman and West - 59
  • Tweedlee Dee - Little Jimmy Osmond - 59
  • I Never Said Goodbye - Engelbert Humperdinck - 61
  • Silly Wasn't I - Valerie Simpson - 63
  • Boogie Woogie Man - Paul Davis - 68
  • Hot Wire - Al Green - 71
  • Fever - Rita Coolidge - 76
  • Slow Motion (Part 1) - Johnny Williams - 78
  • But I Do - Bobby Vinton - 82
  • Blind Eye - Uriah Heep - 91
  • Sugar Magnolia - Grateful Dead - 91
  • We're Gonna Have A Good Time - Rare Earth - 93
  • Somebody Loves You - The Whispers - 94
  • Come Softly To Me - The New Seekers - 95
  • If It's All Right With You - Dottie West - 97
  • Tossin' And Turnin' - Bunny Sigler - 97


And yes, I have playlists of great songs that "made the Hot 100 but not the Top 40".  But the 1973 list only has 23 songs.  Maybe I'll update it as we go through the year month by month!




No comments: