Saturday, February 04, 2023

Overextended?


Looking back at my 2022 photo output, I realized that I’m spread over a bunch of places, and probably not serving any of them well.  These include:

 - - -

Lsquared Imaging:  My “primary” blog.  If you’re reading this post, you know this one.  I’m pretty sure I started L^2 in the fall of has been around since at least August of 2004, and was a continuation from a personal page at AOL (remember AOL?).  Only 76 posts in 2022, and many of them were not photo related.  But hey, almost 19 years!

Happenstance Photography:  My “other” blog.  Around since at least July of 2000.  IIRC, I originally started this to focus on my microstock experience, but in late 2012 it had evolved into just photos, and just B&W photos.  Only 34 posts in 2022, down from 78 in 2021.

Instagram – lsqrd42:  I actually started this account in spring of 2014, but it languished for a long time.  These days it is probably where I am most active.  Once they updated so you could update from a PC, my activity picked up.  I like the immediacy of IG, and frequently post phone-photos that don’t end up elsewhere.  I had 407 posts to lasqd42 in 2022, some of which included more than one photo.  But only 210 followers at the end of the year.

365project – Larry L:  I started this site as a “photo-a-day project in January 2015.  It’s just another place I post photos for the past several years.  But I like the community and the challenges.  I posted 228 photos here in 2022

Betterphoto – Larry Lawhead:  I was pretty active here back in the 2003 – 2009 time frame, but quit for a while.  I rejoined in December 2021, though.  This site is good for it’s contests, which provide nice recognition.  Thy also host my website.  I posted 158 photos to BP last year.

Lawheadphoto.com:  Started in December 2021, this is my photo website.  It’s hosted through Betterphoto.  I’m sad to say that it has been rather stagnant, I don’t think I’ve updated it in 5+ months.  I’ve never gotten any meaningful feedback through the site, don’t have any indication how much traffic it gets, and haven’t been thrilled with the template I’m using.  One of my goals for 2023 is to resurrect this effort.

Facebook Groups – I do post photos all along to my Facebook page, but nothing concerted.  I do belong to a couple of photo groups, but I’ve not successfully “clicked” with any of them. That was part of a goal to find a local community.  I need to decide on one (maybe 2) and put more effort into it.  These include:  Midwest Photographic Society, Riverbend Photography Group, St Louis Photography Group and Alton Area Photography Group. 

Then there’s Quilt Shops and Photo Ops, a little something my wife and I started ~3 years ago.  There’s a web page, an Instagram and a Facebook page.  But those have been quite stagnant over the past 2 years, and I’m not sure what we want to do with thise.  So I won’t include links.

Some other past or stagnant things include:

The World In Black And White:  This was a blog I was invited to join, with a limited group of people (25 I think) posting photos.  It pretty much died after the moderator left, the last post was fall of 2019.  I had quit participating well before that, and deleted all my photos from there.  The blog still exists, though.

Microstock:  I participated in several microstock sites in the between 2004 and 2009.  I think I was in 6 sites at one point, through the years, that’s evolved to just 2 (Getty and Adobe).  Even though I haven’t posted anything to them in 14 years, I still get a rare (small) check.  I should probably close them, the income aren’t worth the trouble (1099’s).  And while microstock was an interesting experience, I have no interest in plunging back in.

No comments: