Tuesday, May 02, 2023

R.I.P. Gordon Lightfoot

 


Last night (5/1/2023), shortly before I shut down for the night, I saw a blurb on Facebook that Gordon Lightfoot had passed away.  After verifying with a couple other sources, I shared the original link, then posted a Youtube of the first Lightfoot song I thought of.  Nope, not "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald".  Rather, his #1 song from 1974:  "Sundown".  

Gordon Lightfoot was a big star in Canada, where he was born (not for from Toronto), with his first Canadian hit in 1962.  He'd had 1/2 dozen Canadian Top 40's before he cracked the US charts in 1970 with "If You Could Read My Mind", which hit #5 on the Hot 100, and topped the US country charts.

Still, he didn't break big until 1974, with Sundown, which started a run of 4 big hits in 2 years:

  • Sundown - #1
  • Carefree Highway - #10
  • Rainy Day People - #26
  • Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - #2

All very solid songs. I didn't own any Lightfoot albums back then, but I certainly knew the hits.  Later, I acquired his "Summertime Dream" album when I got married, which I have dubbed to digital.  

I noted that "Sundown" was the song that first popped into my head.  His 1st (US) hit, it peaked right about my 14th birthday, the summer before I started High School.  It spent 18 weeks on the charts, 11 in the Top 40, and 7 in the Top 10, making it a notable part of my life soundtrack at a key time.  That said, it is the only one of those mid 70's hits that I don't currently own.  That will have to change.


Anyway, rest in peace, Mr. Lightfoot, and thanks for the music, and the memories it brings!


No comments: