Saturday, October 21, 2023

Hikers 365 Challenge

 I'm sure I've posted about it here, sometime during 2023, but I've officially finished the Hikers 365 Challenge this week.  The goal is to hike 365 miles in a year, with hikes (not just walking around) of at least 1 miles each.  It took me 9+ months, or 41.8 weeks to complete the 365.  I'll keep going, of course, but doubt I'll be able to make my goal of 500 miles in the year. (my pace works out to 466) .


A couple of interesting tidbits:

  • My average Miles per Hike is only 1.81 miles per hike, but with 201 hikes in 293 days.  
  • My longest hikes was a rather modest 5.68 miles
  • I had hikes in 13 different states: IL, VA, NY, LA, ME, MO, NC, WV, OH, KY, PA, IN, MS (Listed in order of most->least miles)
  • 38% of my miles were in/around my neighborhood.  That's a bit disappointing, but means I didn't have to drive to walk
  • Not quite 16% of my walks were on the local bike trails

This has been a really good experience for me, I had fallen into a "work from home, sit in my office, move to the couch" trap.  I was shocked to look at my steps counter last December, and it spurred me to action.  My steps per year is over 2x what it was last year, and I'm feeling better for it.


GOALS:

  • I'd like to get as close to 500 for the year as possible, but will be satisfied with anything over 450.
  • I'm debating starting some of the other challenges from the same organization, starting with the Winter Challenge (which starts 11/1).
  • I want to do the challenge again in 2024 (perhaps informally), and improve on 2323's performance
  • I really want to get my overall steps (not just hikes) higher.

Ny suggestions?



No comments: