Monday, May 16, 2005

My Grandfather's Lessons

My Grandfather was an electrician for the Norfolk & Southern railroad in central NC for 35+ years, before retiring in 1963. I remember him telling me about electricity in his basement shop, showing me things like how a motor can run both directions. He was self taught, through a correspondence course from the American School in Chicago, IL in the late 1920's. When he died (in 1973), I received several of his reference books, including the self-bound collection of his lessons from the American School. He was a major influence on my decision to become an electrical engineer, and 30+ years later, I still treasure these reminders of him.

2 comments:

Ol' Froth said...

That is an incredibly cool picture, and the story that goes with it makes it even better.

LSqrd said...

Thanks Frothy!!