Saturday, August 10, 2019

August 1979, On The Radio

It's been a while since I've done a historical chart review, let me know if you like ity, I'll try and keep it going!

- - - -

August, 1979, 40 years ago. Just before I started my Sophomore year at college.  What was on the music charts??  Here's the top songs of the month, ranked by average chart* position.  Peak position during the month is listed parenthetically.

  1. Good Times - Chic (1)
  2. Bad Girls - Donna Summer (1 - 2 wks)
  3. The Main Event/Fight - Barbra Streisand (3)
  4. My Sharona - The Knack (1)
  5. Ring My Bell - Anita Ward (3)
  6. When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman - Dr. Hook (6)
  7. You Can't Change That - Raydio (9)
  8. Mama Can't Buy You Love - Elton John (9)
  9. After The Love Has Gone - Earth, Wind and Fire (4)
  10. I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS (11)
  11. Sad Eyes - Robert John (10)
  12. Lead Me On - Maxine Nightingale (8)
  13. Makin' It - David Naughton (7)
  14. The Devil Went Down To Georgia - The Charlie Daniels Band (7)
  15. Gold - John Stewart (5)
  16. I'll Never Love This Way Again - Dionne Warwick (14)
  17. Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra (6)
  18. Hot Stuff - Donna Summer (9)
  19. Suspicions - Eddie Rabbitt (15)
  20. Is She Really Going Out With Him? - Joe Jackson (21)


So...  By 1979 I was trending out of "pop" music, but I still own eight (8) of these songs.  Also, there's some great stuff further down the charts, from Blondie Blackfoot to Cheap Trick to Dire Straits to Nick Lowe... and more.  

I made a playlist on Spotify if anybody's interested!




Billboard Hot 100 singles charts

No comments: