Sunday, November 24, 2019

Bluefield

Driving back from North Carolina, we made a side trip to Bluefield, WV.  This is where my grandparents lived from before I was born until the mid 70's when they retired and relocated.  It was apparently built in 1939 (according to the internet).  I haven't been back in 45 years or so, but I have a lot of strong memories from this house.

1001 Edgewood Drive, Bluefield WV, Front view.

Looks very similar to my recollection.  I dug up the old photo I have, which confirms that the exterior hasn't changed too much.  The covered bit over the entry is new.  Most of the trees / bushes have been removed, and that light fixture added....

Here's what it looked like pre '74:



A side view.  Again looks pretty much like I remember:


And a bit more from the back.The parking area is new.  Besides that, I can't comment.


And a bonus, form old scanned slides, from my youth, in this house:




- - - - -

We also went into town, and found the bank where my Grandfather worked.  It was Flat Top Bank back then, now it is First Community.  My brother (via IM) was able to tell me the address, or I'd've never found it:

221 Federal St.
I have very little memory of this building, and only a little of the downtown area.  The bank building is currently being renovated, looked like the interior was stripped bare.

From the SW corner of Federal and Raleigh streets:
 --
From the SE corner of Federal and Raleigh streets:
--
 From the SW corner of Federal and McCulloch streets

AND:

Looking up Federal St.  (to the South)

This mural was on the north side of the Coke and Coal Building, park of a little "pocket park" named "Chicory Square".  Click for larger version:

Lastly, the Federal St. entrance to Coke and Coal building, across


- - - - -
It would've been fun to spend a bit more time than we did, and really explore the area.  But we were sleeping near Louisville that night...  We'll need to find a reason to get back before another45 years!

1 comment:

LSqrd said...

Thanks for the comment, Nick Whited! We really enjoyed our quick visit to Bluefield, have talked about dropping by again!

You are correct that my Grandparents retired to Roanoke, I believe it was summer of '75.