Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Happy accident...

I've been playing around recently with macro, using my "old" Nikon D2300 DSLR.   I have a 60mm macro lens (originally bought for my Nikon D-70), and I don't have a macro lens (yet) for my Fujifilm X-T3.

Anyway, I feel that I'm making some headway with macro, but I'm still far from competent or confident.

So, that leads us to this:


It is a detail of my grandfather's Argus C3 rangefinder camera.  probably from the 50's or early 60's?

I had carefully composed this shot, and focused it (my macro lens is manual focus), and was trying to dial in the exposure.  And somehow* I managed to trigger a flash shot.  When I transferred everything to the computer, I actually liked this shot better than the carefully lighted / exposed images.  Something about the blown out highlights appeals to me. That said, there's a bit of post processing here, to bing in the edges, and tone down the color of the camera body, but not the numbers 5-6-7. 



* One deficiency with the D3200 (for me at least) is that the shutter speed and aperture are adjusted using the same thumbwheel on the camera back.  In manual mode, the wheel adjusts shutter speed, and you have to hold a button beside the shutter release while rotating the switch to adjust f-stop.  When the D3200 was my primary camera, I tended to shoot in either shutter or aperture priority rather than deal with it.  But for my macro dabbling, I wanted the control of manual.

No comments: