Saturday, September 05, 2020

Counting Cameras

 So....  I was browsing around on 365project on a Saturday morning, which is not uncommon for me.  In the course of my wandering, I was looking at the Popular Cameras page, which lists the most used cameras on 365 Project in the last 30 days".

It would be nice if it had links to specific photos, but I guess they're still working on that.  Anyway, it's still  interesting.  A couple of things I notice:


  • My Fujifim X-T3 didn't make the Top 50. Its predecessor, the X-T2, was the only Fujifilm on the list, at #34.  Not too surprising, though.  I had never thought about Fujifilm until I attended a session with Karen Hutton in November 2018.  She shoots Fufifilm (or was shooting), and was kind enough to chat with me about the brand after her session.  That kicked in my "I got a Nikon Camera" door, and after some more digging, I made the switch.  I haven't looked back.
  • Phones made up 14 of the 50 spots, almost all of them iPhones.  It would be interesting to see the trend here, I suspect phone cameras are continuing to grow.  Besides the convenience factor, the quality has gotten really great.  Roughly 1/3 of the images I've uploaded to my 365project in 2020 are from my iPhone.  
  • In the long standing Nikon vs Canon battle, Nikon gets an edge here.  Nikon took 14 of the Top 50 spots, vs Canon with 10.  In terms of photos, Nikon represented 26% of the images from the Top 50 Cameras, Canon 19%.  Nikon placed higher (5 and 6), but Canon had more in the Top 10 (3 vs 2).  Of course, I'll always have a soft spot for Nikon, they were my brand from 1982 through 2018.
Of course, this is all just navel gazing, but I couldn't resist.


No comments: