Sunday, August 30, 2026

Lunar Eclipse


 

We're closing out a slow August, from a photographic standpoint.  Besides the normal "late summer blahs", I've been spending a LOT of time organizing the photos from our July trip to Florida.  But suddenly it is almost September, and there's not much new stuff from the month.

But here's something!  Thursday night (8/27) we had a near total eclipse of the moon.  I think they said 97% or 98% in our area.  And it was a clear night.  And max coverage would be at a reasonable 11:12 pm (local time).  Very cool, but of course I completely forgot about it.

Fortunately. I was taking the trash out to the curb a bit after 10pm, and saw the partial eclipse.  I grabbed my camera and grabbed a quick photo (see below).  Then realized I had plenty of time to do a "proper" photo.  So I dug out the tripod, got everything pulled together and set up with plenty of time to wait for the peak.  And the photo above is the result.  

One of those times when the right camera / lens really does make a difference.  Couldn't have done this one with my iPhone.

The partial eclipse photo is exposed for the bright part, has a different feel:


Fun stuff...

No comments: