Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame - 2020 Inductees

The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame announced its Class of 2020 today, with 6 of the 6 nominees getting in.  Congratulations to the new inductees:

  • The Doobie Brothers
  • T. Rex
  • Nine Inch Nails 
  • Depeche Mode 
  • Whitney Houston 
  • The Notorious B.I.G. 

And condolences to those passed over.  Better luck next time:

  • Dave Matthews Band 
  • Pat Benatar 
  • Todd Rundgren 
  • Thin Lizzy 
  • Kraftwerk 
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan 
  • MC5 
  • Judas Priest 
  • Motörhead 
  • Soundgarden 

So, My thoughts?  Start with my October post on the Nominees, for my original thoughts.  Then:  

 I'm really pleased that the Doobie Brothers made it in.  They've topped my list of "most overlooked" for several years.  And were the only nominee this year with a big representation in my catalog.  

I'm really surprised that Pat Benatar did NOT make it in.  She was 2nd in the fan vote (behind Dave Matthews Band) and one of the few women nominated.  And the only woman nominated in 2020 that is undeniably ROCK.  (Apologies to Whiney Houston, but she was pop).  

Even as a 70's guy, I don't really get T.Rex being selected.  Especially over Thin Lizzy.  I really only know "Bang A Gong", which says something.  I guess I'll have to dig into their catalog... 

I'm a little surprised that Dave Matthews Band and Soundgarden didn't make it.  Two newer bands wioth styrong fan followings (placing 1 and 4 in the fan vote).

Speaking of the Fan Vote, RRHOF either needs to make this meaningful, or do away with it.  The Top 2 fan favorites were overlooked (Dave Matthews Band and Pat Benatar), and 4 of the Top 5.  The Doobie Brothers were the only nominee to approach 10% of the fan vote (at 9.5%).  

There are also 2 recipients of the Ahmet Ertegun Award, honoring songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence.  They are Jon Landau and Irving Azoff.  I'm a big fan of these awards, as well as "sidemen" and such.  And Both of these recipients are worthy.

Anyway, that it on the RRHOF front until the induction ceremony (May 2).  Hopefully that'll show up on cable a few weeks later.

No comments: