Thursday, May 28, 2020

Trio


A trio of baby birds...  The nest is on top of one of the porch lights beside our front door, nestled between the brick wall and the top-piece.  This is a "blind" shot with my cell phoneheld above my head to see in the nest.

I originally thought these were baby Robbins, after doing some baby-bird googling.  But after further review, I've decided they're more likely House Finches.   Logic as follows:

There's a pair of house finches (male/female, presumably the parents) that have been hanging out in the nearby trees, raising a racket whenever anybody is on / near the front porch.  Yesterday they were more on less presenting themselves, acting more bold than normal..  I think they were trying to draw me away from the nest.  Here's the male:


Also, when I googled "house finch nestlings" I found several articles noting that house finches do not clean up the baby's poop, simply pushing it to the edge of the nest (as opposed to carrying it away).  That's certainly the case here, as the edges of the nest (and spilling to the ground nearby) is a mess.

Anyway, the top photo is from 4 days ago, which was 11 days after I first noticed the very new looking babies.  I saw one of the baby's fly from the nest yesterday, so I guess they're fledglings now.


No comments: