Thursday, November 03, 2005

You can't plant me in your penthouse...

Elton John's song "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" made it's Top 40 debut today (11/3) back in 1973. The title track from the classic double album made it all the way to #2. Coincidentally, I recently (this week) upgraded my vinyl version of this album to digital, through the joys of I-Tunes. One of the great albums of the late 70's, and (IMHO) EJ's last good one before he got too wrapped up in being flamboyant. , Elton kind of lost me when he got to be better known for his outfits and glasses.... But GYBR is a true classic. From the opening "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" to the closing "Harmony", there's lots of great stuff here, and only a few misses. Ranked #91 on Rolling Stone's list of 500 best rock albums...

1 comment:

Ol' Froth said...

One of the GREAT opening tracks in rock history! I especially love the bridge between Funeral and Love lies Bleeding.