Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Must Manage More Moog....

On this date (5/16) in 1965, Moog introduces the first analog synthesizer. Next stop: Switched on Bach!! I remember hearing S.O.B. back in 5th grade music class, and getting my Dad to buy the record. And, yes, I do have it on CD now (the vinyl is lost, though I still have the album cover). Meanwhile, The Monkees are generally credited as having the first use of a moog synthsizer in a "rock" song, with "Daily, Nightly" from 1967's "Pisces Aquarious Capricorn & Jones, Ltd". And, yes (again), I have this album on both the original vinyl, and modern CD....

5 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

my god, even i don't have those! ; )

LSqrd said...

Shame on you. You should go out an buy both right away.

"Pisces, Aquarious" has some real gems. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" is one of the best songs ever, and Mike Nesmith's "Door Into Summer" is one of my personal favorites. Add in Harry Nilsson's "Cuddly Toy", "Words" and "Daily Nightly"... The only weak spots are "Hard To believe" and "Don't Call On Me" which which are both VERY weak.

Girl, don't you know everytime I see you smiling,
It hurts so bad, cause when I see you, I start crying,
I've tried everything to stop, but there's no denying,
Falling in love with you, girl, is just like dying.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

on my 50th birthday i danced on a table to the monkee's daydream believer! yes, fully clothed, turtleneck sweater, longish skirt and a ratty black feather boa with helium balloons tied to it, wrapped around my neck, and a "burger king" crown with my name in glitter.
i even made sure i had "spotters" like in gym class because i am a tad clumsy(ha!)
i had jokingly said that if i made it to my 50th birthday i'd dance on a table. so, i did(more like i stood up there and waved the feather boa around! )i made 4 dollars and a "pity nickel" from friends and family and was told i should "keep my day job!"
guess i did not wow anyone with my dancing! ; )

now, daydream believer is a memory all it's own!

LSqrd said...

Fun story, Sherry! I don't plan to dance on any table when I turn 50, That would likely lead to broken tables, and broken me!

Sherry Pasquarello said...

ah, you can do it! just make sure to have spotters!