Tuesday, September 19, 2006

You're Magnetic Tape!

A got a letter not long ago from one of the credit card companies, notifying me (and millions of others, I'm sure) that computer tapes with our personal information were "inadvertantly thrown out". Frankly, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I did do a quick (really-free) check of my credit reports, just to be sure. It's amazing how much "Stuff" was in there, going back years and years, including many accounts long closed. ANYWAY, it all reminded me of a song. Way back in 1969, the Moody Blues did a spoken poem called "In The Beginning". From the "On The Threshold Of A Dream" album, the spoken intro to "Lovely To See You":

I think….. I think I am….
Therefore I am!!
I think….

Of course you are, my bright little star
I’ve miles and miles of files, pretty files
Of your forefather’s fruit
And now, to suit, Our great computer
You’re magnetic ink!

I’m more than that… I know I am...
At least…. I think I must be.

There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free...

No comments: