Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Need TV, but I’ve Got T.Rex



When Mott The Hoople sang the above lines*, they weren’t talking about the band Television... But that’s still the association I make**… Which is kind of funny, because I haven’t had any albums by Television, and didn’t really know any of their stuff. But they were a known name, and well respected in critical circuits. As noted by Wikipedia: “Despite critical acclaim, the album never achieved more than a cult following in the United States at the time of its release”. The album Marquee Moon was rated #128 in Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 Greatest Albums of all time, and has been one of the highly rated albums (from that list) that I don’t have. And a recent Facebook post by my brother about Television had them closer to the forefront of my brain.

Anyway: Yesterday I was downloading a Lincoln Brewster song from iTunes, to learn for Praise Band. Well, you just can’t spend $0.99 right? That’s kind of like eating one lays potato chip. So I browsed my “wish list”, and Marquee Moon won out.

I’m diggin’ it. Should have picked this one up 30 years ago.

- - - - - -

*  Lyrics from “All The Young Dudes”, written by David Bowie

** Yes, I know that All The Young Dudes was released in 1972, and Television’s debut album wasn’t until 1977. Obviously I didn’t make the association till later, probably around 1980)

No comments: