Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 27 – Hits Through The Years

How has pop music progressed? Consider late March in 1970, 1990, 2010: What songs were topping the charts?  Let’s look at the first five  #1’s released in the respective years

1970:

  •  Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) - Sly & The Family Stone (debut 1/3/70)
  • Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
  • ABC – Jackson 5
  • Let It Be – The Beatles
  • American Woman – Guess Who (debut 3/21/70)
OK, I have all of these, and I like all of these.



1990:

  •  Black Velvet – Alannah Myles (debut 12/30/1989)
  •  Escapade – Janet Jackson
  •  Love Will Lead You Back – Taylor Dayne
  •  I’ll Be You’re Everything – Tommy Page
  •  Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Conner (debut 3/17)

Wow. I thought I’d know more of these. But I only know 2, but only own 1.

2010:

  •  Nothin’ On You – B.o.B. (debut 2/13)
  • Rude Boy – Rihanna
  • Break Your Heart – Taio Cruz
  • OMG – Usher
  • Not Afraid – Eminem (debut 5/22)

 Well, I didn’t expect to be an expert on these, but I got nothing. I’ve heard of 3 of the artists, but don’t have anything by any of them. Interesting that chart toppers seem to be fewer and farther between in 2010… To be fair, I pulled them up on Youtube….

What does it mean? Well, the elitist in me wants to say that music has gone down the toilette. But maybe I’m just old, out-of-touch and stuck in the past.

What say you?

No comments: