Tuesday, May 10, 2011

American Top 40 - May 10, 1969

I missed yesterday, sorry folks.   This week I planned to look at what was on the charts on "this date" in the sixties.But my primary source doesn't have weekly information for much / most of the 60's.  And easy trumps comlete.

So, we'll stick with the 70's.  1975 was the only year in the 70's when the charts were released on May 10.  So we'll use that:




The Top 10 singles on 5/10/1975 were:

  1. He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) - Tony Orlando & Dawn
  2. Before The Next Teardrop Falls - Freddie Fender
  3. (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song - B.J. Thomas
  4. Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
  5. Shining Star - Earth, Wind & Fire
  6. Walking In Rhythm - Blackbyrds
  7. Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John
  8. Only Yesterday - Carpenters
  9. Long Tall Glasses (I Can Dance) - Leo Sayer
  10. I Don't Like To Sleep Alone - Paul Anka

 Ugh.  While I have half these songs, I'm not thinking I need to rush and make a playlist.....  Only #4 is outstanding (IMHO).
But there were some wonderful tunes deeper in the charts.  My Favorite Five:
  • How Long - Ace (#11)
  • Pinball - Brian Protheroe (60) [one of my all time favorite songs]
  • Long Haired Country Boy - Charlie Daniels Band (#88) [yep, CBD...  I actually quoted a line from this in my high school yearbook.... I remember being young and stupid!] 
  • Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me) - Doobie Brothers (#55) [coincidence, I was listening to this album on yesterday's commute home.  I actually had this album on 8-track!]
  • Amie - Pure Prairie League (#51)

No comments: