Friday, July 01, 2011

What Song Is It You Wanna Hear?

From Yahoo: 
'Southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd are "just getting started" on a new album, their follow-up to 2009's "God & Guns," according to frontman Johnny Van Zant."

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan.  I saw them in concert twice in 1976.  I saw Rossington Collins Band live in 1979.  I've got the Allen Collens Band album (which is quite good).  Heck, I even saw Johnny Van Zant in concert back in 1980 (and still have his 1st album).  I have alomost all of the post-crash (studio) albums, most of which are pretty decent.

But at some point, these guys stopped being Lynyrd Skynyrd.  For some, it was October 20th, 1977, when their plane crashed killing frontman Ronnie VanZant and guitarist Steve Gaines (among others). Or the subsequent deaths of Allen Collins (guitar), Leon Wilkeson (bass) or Billy Powell (piano).   They've had at least 25 individual members, including 7 different drummers.  21 different lineups.  Gary Rossington is the only remaining member of the band that put out those great albums in the 70's.
 
I wish they'd drop the Skynyrd name, call themselves the "Free Birds" or something.  But I suppose it's a business, and the name sells tickets.  Sigh.

No comments: